The Tiny Lab, a demonstration of ultra-efficient tiny house technology will be on display at Birmingham's Innovation Depot the week after Thanksgiving, with free tours and paid workshops open to the general public on home efficiency techniques and how to use technology to make sure your house isn't bleeding energy and money out into the world.
The demonstrations are part of the 20-city Proof is Possible tour, featuring home energy experts and television personalities Grace and Corbett Lunsford.
Organizers say the Tiny Lab is built to the highest performance standards - the most energy efficient, the best indoor air quality, the most comfortable, the most durable, net-zero, and with green materials. The efficiency is tested through infrared cameras, vacuum testing and other modern diagnostics, which Corbett Lunsford says are crucial tools for owners of tiny and large homes.
"Most of our clients feel lost and frustrated when confronted with problems in their homes," Lunsford said in a news release. "They turn to old-fashioned contractors who give them conflicting opinions based in a myopic view of the house - most HVAC pros only focus on the air conditioner, most roofers recommend a roof fix, plumbers only talk about plumbing.
"We need to seek out the companies who rely on diagnostics, so we can know exactly what the source of any problem is and exactly how to solve it without flushing lots of money and years of time down the toilet."
The Birmingham stop is being sponsored by Eco Three, a local business specializing in home energy audits and renovations aimed to boost energy efficiency and comfort in homes and businesses.
"Eco Three is excited to bring this hands on educational example of the home performance standards we help our clients reach and in such a cool, unique way as through a tiny house," Eco Three founder Jonathan Handey said. "It is not to be missed and the general public education and open house tours are free, so it's a wonderful opportunity to come experience this."
The full schedule for next week is as follows:
- Monday-Friday, 5-6 p.m.: Open House Tours of the #TinyLab tiny house on wheels (Free- No registration required)
- Tuesday, 12-1 p.m.: Special Open House for Depot Tenants - #TinyLab tiny house on wheels (Free- No registration required)
- Wednesday, 9-10:30 a.m.: Profiting from Home Performance in Real Estate ($20)
- Thursday, 6-8 p.m.: Home Performance Crash Course for Homeowners (Free)
- Friday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Advanced Techniques and Tools for Home Performance ($99- 2 BPI CEU)
- Saturday, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.: How to engineer and build a high performance tiny house ($49- Limited to 8)
Registration and additional information on the tour's Birmingham Eventbrite page.